Tuesday, December 13, 2011

13. door: White macarons

 

I am fascinated with French Macarons. But it's actually really quite tricky to get them right. This time I tried a new recipe by Donna Hay and 'voila' they all got nice feet. On the downside they turned out too big and some of them got broken. But after all it's the best recipe I have ever tested. It came in a little booklet 'Donna Hay: Christmas Special 2011' with the last 'Living ETC' UK magazine.

200g icing sugar, sifted
120 g finely ground almonds
3 eggwhites
2 tablespoons caster sugar

Mix the almonds with the icing sugar (I gradually added the icing sugar while grinding the almonds). Beat the eggwhites mixing in the caster sugar until soft peaks form. Now fold in the almond/icing sugar mixture with a spatula. Set aside for 10 min. Place 2 teaspoons of the mixture at a time (I think 1 teaspoon would be better) on baking trays lined with baking paper (I actually used silicon mats). Preheat the oven at 160 degrees (fan). Bake the macarons for 15-20 min. Let cool down.

I used ginger jam for the filling. In the original recipe they use balsamic strawberry jam. But Nutella is also very nice. Or you go for buttercream...

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails